The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) announces an opening for the position of executive director, Internal Audit, housed at the LCMS International Center in St. Louis. The department provides a wide range of audit services to the Synod and its agencies, including:
- Performing financial statement audits in accordance with professional standards;
- Assisting external auditors with their financial statement audits of corporate Synod, Concordia Plan Services, Lutheran Church Extension Fund and the LCMS Foundation;
- Performing independent objective assessments of internal controls, operations and organizational structures for adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency; and
- Maintaining a dynamic, team-oriented environment that encourages personal/professional growth.
Responsibilities of the position are to:
- Develop and propose annual department plan and provide recommendations for any changes to the approved plan;
- Recruit, hire and train staff;
- Plan, coordinate and supervise the department workload;
- Monitor audit processes and department resources to ensure efficiency;
- Report to executive management and the boards/audit committees of respective clients;
- Meet with the LCMS Audit Committee on a quarterly basis;
- Develop and monitor continuing education for staff;
- Participate as resource staff for executive management and boards/audit committees of the LCMS and all Synodwide entities;
- Coordinate internal and external audit functions to avoid duplication of effort, enhance efficiency and maximize coverage;
- Evaluate pending and proposed changes in accounting and auditing pronouncements for applicability to the Synod and its related entities; and
- In accordance with Synod policy, investigate allegations of misconduct.
Qualified applicants should have:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting;
- A valid CPA license (other professional certifications encouraged); and
- A minimum of 10 years of auditing experience, including at least three years at the manager level.
Posted Jan. 6, 2022