Concordia Historical Institute (CHI) presented 20 “Awards of Commendation” and the “Distinguished Service Award” to historians at its annual awards banquet Nov. 6.
The Rev. Dr. Ronald R. Feuerhahn of St. Louis received CHI’s highest award, the Distinguished Service Award, for his exemplary historical and archival contributions to Lutheran history in North America and beyond.
Feuerhahn is the 32nd Lutheran historian to receive the award.
The Awards of Commendation are for exemplary accomplishment in the field of American Lutheran history during 2013.
CHI gives the annual commendation awards for major publications, journal articles, congregational histories, regional histories, family histories and non-print media, including videos. CHI is the Department of Archives and History for the Synod.
About 100 people attended the 40th awards banquet, which was held at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, where the institute’s offices, archives and special exhibit areas are located.
The Rev. Dr. Jon Vieker, assistant to the LCMS president, served as the banquet speaker.
“Jesus did it all, for you, and the hymns we sing today sing of it all, too,” said Vieker, according to a CHI news release. “They are those ‘little sermons’ that accompany us from cradle to grave — through sorrow and suffering, to joy and exaltation. And as Lutherans, we are particularly blessed to be known as ‘the singing church’ — a church that unapologetically sings hymns, and lots of them.”
In alphabetical order (by last name of first author listed for publications with multiple authors), the past year’s CHI “Award of Commendation” honorees are:
Dr. Mark Braun, Milwaukee, for “What Our Fathers Taught Us about Lutheran Schools” (Parts 1 & 2), Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 86, No. 1 & 2, Spring & Summer 2013 (Journal Articles).
Dr. Mark Braun, Milwaukee, for “The Reception of Walther’s Theology in the Wisconsin Synod,” Concordia Theological Quarterly, Vol. 77, No. 1–2, January & April 2013 (Journal Articles).
John M. Brenner, Mequon, Wis., and the Rev. Peter M. Prange, Morton Grove, Ill., for Jars of Clay: A History of Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary (1863–2013) (Major Publications).
Matthew Carver, Nashville, Tenn., for translating and editing Walther’s Hymnal (Major Publications).
Dr. Maria Erling, Gettysburg, Pa., for “Danish Lutheran Pietists and the Cherokee,” Lutheran Quarterly, Vol. XXVII, No. 4, Winter 2013 (Journal Articles).
Kirk D. Farney, Hinsdale, Ill., for “Bringing Christ to the Nations: Walter A. Maier, The Lutheran Hour and Global Christian Broadcasting” (Parts 1 & 2), Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 86, No. 2 & 3, Summer & Fall 2013 (Journal Articles).
Rev. Dr. Jack D. Ferguson, Hawks, Mich., for “The Furnace of Dreams: An Account of Soldiers, Pastors, and Chaplains during the American Civil War (1861–1865),” Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 86, No. 4, Winter 2013 (Journal Articles).
Rev. Dr. Jack D. Ferguson, Hawks, Mich., for Pictorial Historiography of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, Vol. 1, 2, 3 (Major Publications).
Rev. James Lawton Haney Jr., Vale, N.C., for Treasure in Earthen Vessels: Historical Reflections on Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Vale, N.C. (Congregational Histories).
Dr. Scott M. Hyslop, Frankenmuth, Mich., for The Precious Gift: The Hymns, Carols, and Translations of Henry L. Lettermann (Major Publications).
Michael G. Lilienthal, Iola, Wis., for The Oak Trees Still Stand (Theatrical Productions).
Marlys Taege Moberg, Milwaukee, for Wherever God Sends Us: Inspiring Stories of LWML Mites in the Americas (Major Publications).
Dr. Roland M. Mueller, Winfield, Kan., for “The Lutheran Children’s Home in Winfield,” Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 86, No. 1, Spring 2013 (Journal Articles).
Rev. Peter M. Prange, Morton Grove, Ill., for “The Wauwatosa Spring: The Flowering of the Historical Discipline at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary (1900–1920),” Wisconsin Lutheran Quarterly, Vol. 110, Nos. 1–4, 2013 (Journal Articles).
St. John’s 150th Anniversary Committee, St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church and School, Maple Grove/Corcoran, Minnesota, 150 Years, 1864 to 2014 (Congregational Histories).
St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church and School, Fort Dodge, Iowa, 150th Anniversary, 1863–2013 (Congregational Histories).
Rev. Dr. Jon D. Vieker, St. Louis, for August Crull and the Story of the Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book, 1912 (Major Publications).
Rev. William A. Wangelin, Hudsonville, Mich., for “The History of the FELSISA and the Missouri Synod,”Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 86, No. 3, Fall 2013 (Journal Articles).
Dr. Daniel Zager of Rochester, N.Y., for The Gospel Preached through Music: The Purpose and Practice of Lutheran Church Music (Major Publications).
Rev. Dr. David Zersen, Austin, Texas, for Concordia on the Move, 1926–2013 (Major Publications).
Posted Nov. 24, 2014