Call for applicants/nominations
The LCMS Office of International Mission announces openings for business and finance administrators, to be deployed internationally across all regions.
The Office of International Mission, which implements the policies of the Board for International Mission, is responsible to the President of the Synod through the Chief Mission Officer for the work of the Synod in foreign countries, as stated in the LCMS Bylaws:
“The Synod on behalf of its member congregations administers those ministries which can be accomplished more effectively in association with other member congregations through the Synod. In this way member congregations utilize the Synod to assist them in carrying out their functions of worship, witness, teaching and nurture, service and support as they seek to serve (1) our Lord Jesus Christ, (2) the members of His body, and (3) the world which stands in need of the Word and the impact of His redeeming love.” (Bylaw 1.1.1, “Reasons for Organizing a Synod”)
The positions report to the regional leadership.
- Assists the Regional Director to work effectively with our international partners, provide project- and people-management support, and ensure alignment between area tactical plans and global strategic initiatives.
- Assists the Regional Director to create, implement and manage world-class programs, projects and systems that profoundly improve organizational capability and efficiency.
- Assists the Regional Director with the preparation, monitoring, analysis and ongoing revision of the multi-year regional budget.
- Develops and implements reporting tools and methodologies, primarily in the areas of finance and regional operations, to support decision-making and documentation of initiatives within the region.
- Provides financial leadership, process and training support for personnel engaging in strategic and tactical planning.
- Serves as local steward and manager for LCMS properties and holdings within the region.
- Works with regional leadership to orchestrate the effective implementation of program facets; assists in identifying resources to meet regional and global objectives.
- Manages the regional accounting system and assists with the set-up and oversight of subsidiary systems in countries as needed.
- Serves as the custodian of all monies, bank accounts, stocks and other financial papers of the assigned LCMS region; facilitates all approved regional disbursements.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Regional Director.
- Collaborates with the U.S.-based staff for purposes of uniformity in processes and best practices.
- Networks with the business managers in other regions of work and/or with other international staff to consider practical improvements.
- An active member, in good standing, of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod or any of its partner churches, believing Holy Scripture is the inspired and inerrant Word of God and the teachings of the Lutheran confessions are in full agreement therewith.
- Experience and proven knowledge of fund accounting, internal control, international finance and treasury functions.
- Experience working in an international or cross-cultural context.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- CPA qualification or advanced training with 3–5 years of accounting/finance experience.
- Managerial/supervisory experience preferred.
Nominations and inquiries are welcomed and may be submitted to Nathan Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the LCMS, please visit lcms.org.
Posted April 5, 2018