Concordia Seminary, St. Louis (CSL), seeks nominations for the position of dean of chapel. This is a faculty position responsible for directing the provision of organized corporate worship on the campus. The dean of chapel will guide the seminary community in a clear understanding of and faithful participation in that worship life and provide spiritual and pastoral service to enhance and deepen the spiritual life of the entire community. As a member of the faculty, the dean of chapel will also teach seminary classes in his area of expertise.
As dean of chapel, the candidate appointed to this position will report to the president of the seminary. As a member of the faculty, the dean of chapel will report to his department chair. Responsibilities encompass all matters relative to the worship life of the seminary and include:
- Design and direct a program of corporate worship responsive to the spiritual needs of the seminary community.
- Plan, in consultation with the director of music arts and the faculty, the worship services appointed for each day in the academic year.
- Prepare orders of worship for all special services conducted on behalf of the seminary community, currently including, but not limited to: opening, vicarage assignment, Call Day, theological diploma, Symposium, anniversaries, dedications and all special commemorations and events.
- Supervise and oversee the instruction of all students who assist in the conduct of chapel services.
- Provide theological oversight and manage the multicultural efforts relative to campus worship.
- Oversee chapel music, musicians and ensembles.
- Assist the president in his responsibility as spiritual head of the seminary community by bringing to the attention of the president all matters of import affecting the spiritual life of the seminary community and by carrying out those assignments as may be requested by the president.
- Teach 10 semester credits each academic year in his area of expertise.
Appointment to the CSL faculty is made by the CSL Board of Regents upon the recommendation of the seminary president.
- Ordained pastor of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod or a partner church
- Demonstrated administrative skills
- Terminal degree (Ph.D.) attained or in progress in the theology, history or practice of Christian worship
- Experience in the pastoral oversight of the worship life of a congregation or institution
More information is available here. Nominations and/or questions may be sent to Dr. Douglas L. Rutt, CSL provost, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position posting will close on June 16.
Posted May 27, 2021