Call for Nominations/Applicants
Executive Director, Office of International Mission
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) announces an opening for the position of executive director of the LCMS Office of International Mission (OIM), housed at the LCMS International Center in St. Louis. The OIM is responsible to the Synod president through the chief mission officer (CMO) for all LCMS mission and ministry work — including the recruitment, training, deployment and support of called or appointed church missionaries and military chaplains — in all overseas foreign mission areas of Synod.
- Supervise all OIM day-to-day operations.
- With the CMO, facilitate meetings between the president and various OIM staff (especially regional directors) to inform the president of missiological/theological events and trends, events in world Lutheranism, mission endeavors, mercy work, etc.
- Supervise the recruitment, training, deployment and support of called or appointed church missionaries and military chaplains working in all overseas foreign mission areas of Synod.
- Supervise OIM’s leadership role and responsibilities in Synod’s international theological education initiatives.
- Supervise the expansion of the “Foro” (forum) model in all areas of LCMS global mission.
- Supervise the Short-Term Mission department in its role to support and coordinate short-term teams from the Synod’s congregations, schools, other Synod agencies, auxiliaries and Recognized Service Organizations (RSOs).
- Provide leadership for the regular publication of a mission journal and other sound missiological literature in cooperation with LCMS Church Relations, the Commission on Theology and Church Relations, the seminaries and others.
- Supervise the Ministry to the Armed Forces department in its role to establish, extend and support the work of the Synod military chaplaincy.
- Design, develop and implement OIM strategic and operational plans in line with the triennial mission and ministry emphasis, the policies of the Board for International Mission (BIM) and the president’s goals.
- Supervise and support, at the direction of the CMO, the establishment, maintenance and coordination of the work of LCMS international schools.
- Supervise OIM budget development and ongoing OIM financial performance and ensure that OIM plans are budgeted and executed in a cost-effective and timely manner.
- Serve as staff resource to the BIM, working with the board chair and CMO to develop board agendas and provide information, resources, reports and/or program updates as requested.
- Closely coordinate the work of OIM with the director of Church Relations on matters pertaining to current and emerging partner churches and leaders.
- Supervise the granting of RSO status to applying organizations that have satisfactorily met all LCMS requirements and primarily serve constituents and beneficiaries outside of the United States.
- Work closely with the executive director of LCMS Mission Advancement, donors, grantors and other Synod constituents and stakeholders.
Position requirements include:
- Faithful to the Holy Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions and supportive of the Synod’s Constitution, Bylaws and policies.
- Rostered member of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, commissioned or ordained.
- Master’s degree in theology (ordained with MDiv, STM and/or PhD preferred), education or related field or the equivalent in practical knowledge and experience.
- Significant missionary and overseas mission leadership experience.
- A minimum of three years (five years preferred) serving in a nonprofit, church-related organization.
- Significant senior leadership experience (supervising employee and/or volunteer teams within a multifaceted organizational structure).
- Demonstration of advanced global situational awareness and understanding of cultural and environmental factors that influence OIM goals.
- Capacity to travel extensively, both internationally and domestically.
To see a complete position description or apply, visit lcms.org/careers. Nominations are welcomed and may be submitted to email@example.com. The deadline to apply or submit nominations is Oct. 31, 2023.
Posted Oct. 1, 2023