Registration is open for Concordia Seminary, St. Louis’, 15th theological symposium, Sept. 21-22, with the theme, “The Challenge of Homosexuality — The Church Responds.”
The seminary has sent a brochure with a registration form and information about the symposium to all pastors, deaconesses and directors of Christian education in the Synod. The brochure says the symposium “will explore the changing use of Scripture and its interpretation in conversations and studies about sexuality, cultural attempts to impose a non-Christian framework and Christian responses and the implications of these changes on the life of Christians and congregations.”
Presentations and sectional workshops by seminary professors and others will address “Biblical witness, legal and media challenges and Lutheran, confessional and churchly responses,” the brochure says.
Scheduled guest presenters and workshop leaders, other than Concordia Seminary professors, include:
- Dr. Robert A.J. Gagnon, associate professor of New Testament at Pittsburgh (Pa.) Theological Seminary.
- Dr. Mary Manz Simon, host of the syndicated radio program “Front Porch Parenting” and author of children’s books, from Belleville, Ill.;
- Leonard J. Pranschke, co-founder and attorney at Pranschke and Holderle, L.C., St. Louis;
- Dr. Richard Winter, professor of practical theology at Covenant Theological Seminary, St. Louis;
- Rev. Tom Eckstein, pastor of Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church, Bridgeton, Mo.; and
- Dr. Lawrence Brennan, director of assessment and professor of systematic theology at Kenrick-Glennon Seminary, St. Louis.
Registration is $110 ($120 after Sept. 10) per person for the entire symposium, which includes program materials, a buffet reception and refreshments. Registration fees are waived for full-time students and faculty at Synod colleges, universities and seminaries. Other full-time students may register for $30. Registration is $60 ($65 after Sept. 10) for one day and $30 ($35) for a single session.
Plenary sessions and three workshops will be Web cast, with registration set at $50 ($65) per terminal.
A post-symposium evangelism workshop Sept. 22-23, led by Dr. A.R. Victor Raj, mission professor at the seminary, is $35.
Continuing-education credit is offered, at $10 for the symposium and $10 for the workshop.
Although campus housing is not available for the symposium, the registration brochure lists several nearby hotels offering a special rate. Pre-paid plans for meals on campus may be purchased by Sept. 15.
Those interested in writing papers that address the symposium theme, which would be considered for presentation in open workshops, should send proposals with abstracts by Aug. 13 to Prof. Jeffrey Kloha, Concordia Seminary, 801 DeMun Ave., St. Louis, MO 63105.
For a registration brochure or for more information, contact the seminary Office of Continuing Education and Parish Services at (314) 505-7123, or email@example.com.
Posted June 30, 2004