Delegates to the 98th convention of the Synod’s Michigan District re-elected
Dr. C. William Hoesman to his fourth term as president. Hoesman was elected on the first ballot at the convention, held June 25-28 in Ann Arbor, Mich.
Also elected were four regional vice presidents:
- Rev. David P.E. Maier of Dimondale, Mich., West Region.
- Dr. Wayne H. Wentzel, Grand Blanc, Mich., North and West Region.
- Rev. Michael J. Roth, Eastpointe, Mich., Metro East Region.
- Dr. K. Frank Graves, Brighton, Mich., Metro West Region.
The convention marked the district’s 125th anniversary with a number of special events. Delegates received a commemorative history of the district written by Dr. Barbara Laughlin Adler, who serves as district archivist.
A DVD about the district’s 125th Anniversary Thank Offering was shown during the convention and copies were distributed to delegates. The thank offering’s goal is to gather total gifts of $10 million over the next three years, to be used for district mission starts and to increase financial support offered to professional church-work students from the district who are enrolled at LCMS colleges, universities, and seminaries.
Theme of the convention was “Celebrating God’s Faithfulness: Redeemed … Refreshed … Ready,” from Phil. 4-7, 20.
Delegates voted to:
- increase financial support for professional church-work students and programs.
- encourage each district congregation to become involved in the Synod’s Ablaze! initiative and to register their witnessing events on the Ablaze! Web site.
- encourage use of the Lutheran Service Book in the district.
- encourage congregations and professional church workers to “become educated on dealing with conflict.”
Also during the convention, delegates received and were introduced to two documents recently published by the district:
- Partners in Ministry: Ethical Conduct for Congregations, and
- Partners in Ministry: Ethical Conduct for Professional Church Workers.
Posted July 24, 2006