Minnesota North District President Donald J. Fondow was re-elected, by unanimous voice vote, to a second three-year term at the district’s 19th convention May 8-10 in Brainerd, Minn. Fondow, of Park Rapids, Minn., was installed by LCMS President Gerald B. Kieschnick during the convention.
Delegates also elected:
- Rev. Dan C. Abrahams, Detroit Lakes, Minn., first vice president;
- Rev. Kirk E. Lee, Parkers Prairie, Minn., second vice president; and
- Rev. Paul E. Cloeter, Sauk Rapids, Minn., third vice president.
Under the theme “Living and Forgiving as God’s Holy People: In Peace, In Mission, In the Word … Through Christ!,” delegates voted to:
- encourage each congregation to share at least one-tenth of its income with the district to fund district mission efforts and support national LCMS work.
- ask circuits and congregations to identify potential mission starts, and set a goal to plant at least two congregations annually in the district.
- ask each congregation to develop and implement an “intentional mission plan” for outreach.
- encourage all members and congregations to support and take part in the Synod’s Ablaze! outreach initiative.
- establish a Rural Church Task Force to address the challenges of rural congregations.
- ask the 2007 LCMS convention to rescind Res. 3-08A, which affirms the conclusions of the 1994 Commission on Theology and Church Relations report, “The Service of Women in Congregational and Synodical Offices.”
- require LCMS officials to “carry out their responsibilities of supervision and discipline in regard to the practice of closed or close Communion.”
Posted June 1, 2006