The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Concordia University at Austin, Austin, Texas, seeks applicants for two faculty positions:
- Communications faculty. The successful candidate will teach communication technology, media production, media analysis and criticism, and other communication courses as needed. A Ph.D. in communication is preferred, as well as demonstrated expertise in communication technologies. Individuals with an appropriate master’s degree in communication willing to pursue a doctorate will be considered.
- Physical sciences faculty. Teaching responsibilities will include physics, physical sciences for liberal arts majors, and physical science for elementary school teachers. Applicants must have a strong commitment to undergraduate education within the context of a Christian university. Applicants who have the ability to teach in one or more of the following areas will be given extra consideration: geology, astronomy, or environmental sciences. A Ph.D. or other terminal degree is preferred, but an ABD will be considered.
Submit resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and names and contact information of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to Human Resources, Concordia University at Austin, 3400 IH 35 North, Austin, TX 78705. Additional details may be viewed online at www.concordia.edu.
Concordia University Chicago, River Forest, Ill., seeks candidates for four faculty positions:
- Chair of the Teacher Education Department. The initial appointment is a two-year renewable term, beginning June 1, 2007. The chair is responsible to the dean of the College of Education in matters pertaining to faculty, curriculum, and administration. Specifically, the chair is responsible for assigning full-time and adjunct faculty to teach courses at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels, both on and off campus, and ensuring the quality of the programs offered at those sites. Other duties include preparation and management of the department budget, presiding at department meetings, assessing effectiveness of faculty members, working with the dean to fill new faculty positions as needed, and providing vision and leadership in the development of the programs of the department.
The successful candidate will have an earned doctorate in teacher education or a related field, a record of teaching in P-12 settings, experience in teaching and/or administration at the university level, and commitment to Lutheran education and values congruent with The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod. Interviews will begin as soon as possible and continue until a suitable candidate is identified.
Interested persons should submit a cover letter, current curriculum vitae, transcripts, and three letters of reference to Dr. Jane R. Buerger, Dean, College of Education, Concordia University Chicago, 7400 Augusta St., River Forest, IL 60305; fax: (708) 209-3176; telephone: (708) 209-3127.
- Dean, College of Graduate and Innovative Programs. The dean reports to the senior vice president for academics of the university and is the chief academic officer of the college. The college seeks an entrepreneurial, visionary leader who will be able to initiate new and innovative programs both at the graduate and undergraduate levels. The dean must work effectively and collaboratively with the administration and faculty of the other colleges and with the senior university administrators in planning and implementing curricular programming, and exercising fiscal management for the college. The university desires an individual who is supportive of the mission of Concordia University as an institution of Lutheran Christian higher education.
The dean holds faculty rank and the possession of an earned doctorate in a discipline appropriate to the college is highly preferred.
The candidate must have:
- demonstrated creativity in the design and delivery of university programs.
- administrative experience in the higher education environment that includes fiscal and personnel management.
- a commitment to excellence in teaching.
- experience in developing plans and policies for an institution of higher education.
- experience with program assessment and external accreditation.
- commitment to fostering interdisciplinary collaboration.
- commitment to the principles and practices of shared governance.
- experience in community outreach and working with external agencies.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate:
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application and a vitae to Dr. Manfred Boos, Senior Vice President for Academics, Concordia University, 7400 Augusta St., River Forest, IL 60305; fax: (708) 209-3571; e-mail: email@example.com.
- The Psychology Department of Concordia University seeks student-oriented applicants for a faculty position in educational psychology. Teaching responsibilities will be primarily in the graduate programs within the department in school counseling and also in support courses for the master’s programs in curriculum and instruction and the master of arts in teaching in the College of Education.
Teaching may be in on-campus and/or off-campus cohort-based programs. Additionally, advising undergraduate and/or graduate students, contributions to university committees and to one’s professional field are required. The ability to articulate the interplay between matters of faith and empirical research in one’s academic discipline is an important consideration. Faculty rank is contingent upon qualifications and experience.
The Psychology Department offers an undergraduate major as well as supporting coursework in other majors. At the graduate level, the department offers three degrees: a master’s in psychology, and CACREP accredited master’s programs in community and in school counseling.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications: Ph.D. or Ed.D. or degree candidacy in educational psychology or a closely related program from a regionally accredited institution; a record of research and publication related to the preceding and three to five years of successful undergraduate or graduate teaching is preferred; previous experience at