- Dr. Ray Mirly, St. Louis, second term, first ballot.
- Rev. Alan Wollenburg, Sikeston, Mo., first vice president.
- Dr. Ken Schurb, Moberly, Mo., second vice president.
- Dr. Ronald Rall, St. Louis, third vice president.
- Rev. William Marler, Springfield, Mo., fourth vice president.
Under the convention theme of “Faith Aflame: Communicating the Gospel,” from Rom. 1:16-27, delegates to the district’s 17th convention voted to:
- promote mission work in North Korea. The resolution encourages congregations to give special offerings to support an LCMS World Mission partnership providing agribusiness assistance to four farms in Pyongyang, North Korea.
- encourage new church planting. The resolution asks congregations to partner and pool resources to start and sustain new churches, and encourages congregations to explore the possibility of mission work in their communities by using Lutheran Church Extension Fund demographic studies and other church-planting tools.
- memorialize the LCMS to review the role of women in the church. The resolution asks the 2010 LCMS convention to assign the two LCMS seminary faculties to provide input on the topic to the Synod’s Commission on Theology and Church Relations (CTCR); requests the Synod to “rescind 2004 resolution 3-08A [affirming the CTCR report, ‘The Service of Women in Congregational and Synodical Offices’] and anything based upon it such as policies or administrative procedures”; and requests a memorial to the 2010 LCMS convention that mandates the CTCR to “critically review all the recommendations in its 1994 report and their basis in its 1985 ‘Women in the Church’ document in light of the seminary input mentioned above, the input of other concerned members of the Synod, and in light of the scholarly studies concerning relevant biblical passages … that have appeared since 1985.”
- memorialize the LCMS to overrule several opinions of the Commission on Constitutional Matters that deal with the discipline of a Synod member who takes an action with full knowledge and approval of the appropriate ecclesiastical supervisor.
- memorialize the LCMS to ask the Blue Ribbon Task Force on Synod Structure and Governance to delay its report until the 2013 LCMS convention so that congregations will have more time to consider its proposals.
Re-posted Sept. 4, 2009