The LCMS Board for Communication Services (BCS) seeks candidates for the position of managing editor of The Lutheran Witness. The managing editor is responsible for the gathering and editing of materials for inclusion in The Lutheran Witness, the Synod’s official magazine, as well as supervising its production.
Responsibilities include keeping abreast of mission and ministry activities within the Synod, taking into account the church year, special events, contemporary issues, geographical coverage, Christian education, mission outreach, variety of format, reader research and feedback.
In addition, the managing editor is responsible for commissioning and overseeing the work of writers, photographers, and graphic artists whose work is to be published and working with freelance writers, photographers, and graphic artists as needed.
The managing editor is also responsible for submitting articles through the Doctrinal Review process and making the necessary changes as determined by the doctrinal reviewer. He or she works with members of the Board for Communication Services in maintaining The Lutheran Witness Web site and serves as liaison with the Synod’s departments, institutions, and agencies for the purpose of gathering news and other information.
The essential qualifications for this position are a bachelor’s degree in communications or a communications-related field, preferably journalism; a minimum of seven years practical experience in the field of communications; demonstrated ability to work with internal and external customers; demonstrated ability and interest in writing and editing as evidenced by published materials and other written pieces; good listening skills; broad-based biblical knowledge; and a solid understanding of LCMS doctrine, practice, structure, and governance.
Qualified applicants must possess a commitment to accuracy, integrity, clarity, and ability to meet deadlines, as well as a strong sense of graphical quality in the presentation of covers and story layouts.
Applicants must be active members of an LCMS congregation, faithful to the Holy Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions, and supportive of the Synod’s Constitution, Bylaws, and policies.
Candidate information should be submitted by Feb. 26 to Brenda Haverly, HR Manager, The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, 1333 S. Kirkwood Road, St. Louis, MO 63122; firstname.lastname@example.org; fax: 314-996-1121. LCMS Application for Employment may be accessed online at /wp-content/uploads/2009/07/application.pdf.
Concordia Plan Services (CPS), benefits administrator for The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, seeks to hire an executive vice president and chief financial officer (CFO). The position is essentially responsible for financial planning and performance management, audit and risk management, accounting and financial reporting. This position reports to the president and CEO of Concordia Plan Services.
Essential job functions include:
- serve as contact for the Audit Committee of the CPS Board of Directors.
- provide support for work of the Investment and the Actuarial and Benefits Committees of the CPS Board of Directors.
- ensure connection of strategy/business plan to operating plan/budget.
- develop CPS and Plan operating budgets.
- monitor CPS progress relative to operating and strategic plans.
- partner with the president on all operational and strategic issues, as appropriate.
- provide strategic recommendations to the president and to the CPS Leadership Team based on financial projections and experience analysis.
- participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the leadership team.
- oversee financial performance of Concordia Plan Services and the Concordia Plans including, but not limited to, creating financial plans and projections, and reporting and analysis of actual vs. expected results.
- ensure appropriate Plan funding models in place (contribution rates and investment income expectations).
- ensure appropriate Plan expenditures (benefits and expenses).
- ensure appropriate level of surplus and reserves to meet future needs.
- oversee actuarial valuation and analysis activities (internal and external consultant).
- oversee Enterprise Risk Management activities: develop and manage action plan to eliminate/mitigate identified areas of risk.
- coordinate all audit activities: annual CPS audit, CPS operational and vendor activities, as well as participating employers.
- oversee traditional accounting and financial reporting activities.
- manage cash flow and partner with Investments to forecast cash-flow needs.
- ensure appropriate financial management systems, processes, and procedures are utilized within CPS.
- ensure compliance with appropriate tax regulations and legislation.
- an active membership in an LCMS congregation is highly desirable.
- bachelor’s degree, plus significant professional designation, certification, or advanced degree, such as CPA, FSA, or MBA.
- minimum of 10 years experience in a financial leadership position, ideally in an insurance, employee benefit or financial services environment.
- demonstrated communication and strategic skills.
- demonstrated organizational, leadership, and project management skills; written and oral communication skills.
- proven integrity; discretion and judgment in confidential matters.
- demonstrated excellence in managing finance, actuarial, accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting.
- strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- willingness and ability to travel.
- an understanding of the Synod’s structure is highly desirable.
- must be a team player who is committed to lifelong learning.
- integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment.
- effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills.
- capable and able to work under pressures of time limitations.
Qualified applicants eager to work for a caring, Christian organization with a great family-like atmosphere should forward resume, with cover letter and salary history, to The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, Department of Human Resources, Attention: VB, 1333 S. Kirkwood Road, St. Louis, MO 63122. E-mail to email@example.com. Fax to 314-996-1121. EOE. Deadline for responding is Feb. 28.
The following institutions of the Concordia University System are seeking candidates for positions:
- Concordia University, Ann Arbor, Mich., seeks to fill the following faculty positions: registrar; elementary education; mathematics; kinesiology; criminal justice; business; biology/life sciences.
- Concordia University, Portland, Ore., seeks to fill the following staff position: campus pastor.
- Concordia University Nebraska, Seward, Neb., seeks to fill the following faculty position: chair — Health and Human Performance.
- Concordia University Wisconsin, Mequon, Wis., seeks to fill faculty positions in: nursing (multiple positions).
For more information about these and other CUS positions, including complete job descriptions, qualifications, and application process, visit http://www.lcms.org/cusjobs and click on “Job Opportunities” and then “Positions Available at Our Campuses.”
Recovery Assistance Inc. (RAI) Ministries of New Orleans, La., invites nominations and applications for the position of executive director. A successful, experienced professional is sought to lead the ministry of this dynamic disaster-response organization. RAI, formed by the LCMS Southern District after Hurricane Katrina, runs two volunteer camps — Camp Biloxi in Mississippi and Camp Restore in Louisiana — and houses volunteers year-round. RAI’s mission is restoring faith, home, and community in the name of Jesus to the survivors of Hurricane Katrina.
Full job posting and contact information available online at www.raiministries.org/execdirector.pdf.
Posted Feb. 3, 2010