For Immediate Release
Contact: Vicki Biggs
Director, Integrated Communications
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
LCMS ‘National Offering’ designated for ‘Witness, Mercy, Life Together’ work
Congregations, individuals invited to participate in the offering
ST. LOUIS, April 19, 2013—Congregations and individual members of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) are invited to take part in the church’s life and work in a personal way: by participating in the 2013 National Offering.
“This National Offering will support five of the church’s most significant initiatives,” said Mark Hofman, executive director of Mission Advancement for the LCMS. “Gifts received will be used to strengthen our Lutheran Witness, Mercy, Life Together efforts at home and abroad. By combining our resources, we vigorously make known the love of Christ by word and deed to everyone.”
2013 National Offering gifts can be designated to support one or more of the five target areas:
- Together as Synod – supporting the church’s work together as a Synod wherever the need is greatest as determined by the LCMS Board of Directors.
- Global Mission – strengthening Witness, Mercy, Life Together efforts at home and around the world.
- Lutheran Malaria Initiative – contributing to the goal of ending malaria deaths in Africa.
- Joint Seminary Fund – direct support for the Synod’s two world-class seminaries as they prepare future LCMS pastors, deaconesses and other church leaders for service.
- Global Seminary Initiative – building the capacity of LCMS partner churches around the world to prepare solidly Lutheran leaders and clergy.
Following a tradition set during past conventions, gifts to the National Offering will be gathered ahead of and during the 65th Regular Convention of the LCMS July 20–25 in St. Louis. Gifts will continue to be encouraged in the triennium leading up to the 2016 Synod convention.
Sunday, June 2, has been designated for LCMS congregations to gather their members’ gifts for the offering. A free bulletin insert for congregational use in promoting the offering is available for order, while supplies last. Orders can be placed online or by calling 800-325-7912, ext. 1696.
LCMS congregations will receive a packet this spring that includes additional resources for participating in the 2013 National Offering, including a responsive prayer card, promotional flier and offering envelopes.
- Learn more about the 2013 National Offering at www.lcms.org/nationaloffering.
- Learn more about the 2013 Synod convention at www.lcms.org/convention.
About The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) is a biblical, confessional, witness-oriented Christian denomination with 2.3 million members in 6,200 congregations. Through acts of witness and mercy, the church carries out its mission worldwide to make known the love of Jesus Christ. Learn more at www.lcms.org.