“The First Rosa: Teacher, Confessor, Church Planter” — the 42-minute film that tells the story of famed LCMS educator-missionary Dr. Rosa Young, “the mother of black Lutheranism in central Alabama” — is being shown at various sites around The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod this year, prior to its official release in early 2016.
- Oct. 9 — 7 p.m., Sihler Auditorium, Concordia Theological Seminary (CTSFW), Fort Wayne, Ind. CTSFW President Rev. Dr. Lawrence Rast Jr. will share remarks prior to the showing. For information, contact the seminary at email@example.com or 260-452-2250.
- Oct. 24 — 6 p.m. at Faith Lutheran Church, Mobile, Ala.
- Nov. 6 — 7 p.m., Werner Auditorium, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis (reception to follow). Seating is limited; reserve your ticket via email by Nov. 2 here.
- Nov. 6 — 6 p.m., Calvary Lutheran Church and School, Baltimore.
- Nov. 6 — 7 p.m., Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Dearborn, Mich., fellowship hall.
- Nov. 14 — 2 p.m., Faith Lutheran Church, Troy, Mich.
Showings of the film also are scheduled for the Lutheran Church Extension Fund Fall Leadership Conference, Nov. 20-22 in Atlanta, and during a number of LCMS district conferences — those are not open to the public, but only to registrants.
Additional showings are being arranged for congregations in Chicago; Concord, N.C.; Indianapolis; New York; Richfield, Minn.; San Diego; and St. Paul, Minn., as well as Concordia University System schools in Chicago; Irvine, Calif.; Portland, Ore.; Selma, Ala.; and St. Paul, Minn.
To see a schedule, click here and then on “Premiere locations and dates” at right.
Other resources for “The First Rosa” also are available on the website, including a poster, tips for hosting a showing, a sample invitation, newsletter text, an information sheet, a response card, bulletin inserts and bookmarks.
A free DVD of the film is expected to be sent to each LCMS congregation in January.
Congregations interested in hosting a pre-release showing of “The First Rosa” this year may contact the Rev. Roosevelt Gray via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Posted Oct. 7, 2015