The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) announces an opening for the position of associate executive director, Commission on Theology and Church Relations (CTCR), housed at the LCMS International Center in St. Louis.
The CTCR was established in 1962. With the assistance of two full-time executives, it provides leadership and guidance to the Synod on matters of theology, church relations and religious organizations and movements. The Commission also assists the president of the Synod, at his request, in discharging his constitutional responsibilities.
- Provides leadership and guidance in the areas of theology and church relations, including presentations at the Synod’s colleges, universities and seminaries and throughout the Synod on critical issues in these areas.
- Assists the executive director in carrying out his responsibilities as requested.
- Assists the president of the Synod upon request, drafting letters, reports and statements on sensitive theological and church relations matters.
- Participates in all CTCR meetings, providing leadership and guidance to CTCR sub-committees as needed and requested.
- Participates regularly in ecumenical meetings and dialogues and assists the executive director (as requested) in organizing and coordinating such meetings when sponsored by the LCMS.
- Serves as the primary resource staff person for providing information and guidance in the area of religious organizations and movements.
- Manages and coordinates the work of and provides theological expertise for various task forces and committees as assigned.
- Provides direction and counsel, when requested, to other Synod boards and commissions and their staffs regarding theological issues, church relations and religious organizations and movements.
- Executes research projects and prepares theological resource materials and drafts.
- Reports on the work of the CTCR to various groups within the church (e.g., pastoral conferences, professional church-worker conferences, circuit forums, etc.) upon request.
- Assists the executive director in the editing of CTCR documents prior to publication.
- Responds to correspondence requesting information and guidance in matters of theology and church relations and to emails forwarded to the CTCR office by the LCMS Church Information Center.
- Monitors ecclesiastical and social developments in assigned areas.
- Assists in the planning of theological conferences and workshops sponsored by the CTCR.
- Supervises the maintenance of the CTCR’s theological library and archives.
- Complies with revisions made from time to time, after mutual consultation, in this position description.
- Ordained LCMS clergyman, faithful to the Holy Scriptures and the Lutheran confessions, and supportive of the Synod’s constitution, bylaws and policies.
- Well-trained and competent in theology (advanced degree in theology).
- Experience in church relations (such as serving on inter-synodical and ecumenical committees and consultations).
- Minimum of three years in parish ministry.
- Possesses administrative skills, including the ability to carry on and supervise theological research.
- Ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- A personality suited to working harmoniously with others.
- Ability to deal pastorally in sensitive situations.
Qualified applicants are welcome to apply online via lcms.org/careers. Nominations are welcome and may be submitted to Kathy Milner at email@example.com. The deadline to apply or submit nominations is Feb. 7, 2020. For more information on the LCMS, see lcms.org.
Posted Dec. 19, 2019