Delegates of the Synod’s Eastern District re-elected President John Brunner to his third term during the district’s 95th convention June 16-18 in Snyder, N.Y. Brunner was elected on the first ballot.
Also elected were:
- Rev. Chris Wicher, Cheektowaga, N.Y., first vice president/Buffalo region vice president;
- Dr. Arthur Dueker, Rochester, N.Y., second vice president/Rochester region vice president;
- Rev. Arthur Litke, Glenshaw, Pa., third vice president/Pittsburgh region vice president; and
- Rev. Kim Bode, Hop Bottom, Pa., fourth vice president/Philadelphia region vice president.
Brunner and others elected at the convention were installed during the closing worship service.
Under the theme “Share the Light,” from Matt. 5:14, delegates voted to:
- realign circuits to avoid the need for multiple exceptions at the Synod’s next national convention in 2007.
- affirm the Synod’s process for ecclesiastical supervision and dispute resolution approved at the 2004 synodical convention, and urged the LCMS convention in 2007 to do the same.
- affirm the direction of the district’s board of directors and staff toward continuing “Congregation Transformation and Revitalization,” a program designed to help congregations become more mission-minded and outreach-focused in their communities, their regions, and throughout the world.
Giving special reports to the convention were LCMS Eastern District Missionaries Rev. Tim and Rita Nickel, who serve in Kyrgyzstan, and Rev. Kelly Bedard, pastor of Grace Lutheran Church and Preschool, Houma, La., who talked about the Eastern District’s partnership in hurricane relief efforts there.
Posted June 29, 2006