The names of the 20 nominees for the Synod’s second through fifth vice presidents who will be on the ballot at this summer’s LCMS convention have been announced.
They are the 20 ordained ministers who received the most nominations from congregations for that ballot, and who agreed to permit their names to remain on the ballot.
Synod Secretary Raymond Hartwig released those names April 2. He announced the nominees for Synod president and first vice president March 27.
The nominees for second through fifth vice presidents are, in the order of nominations received:
- Dr. Paul L. Maier, professor of ancient history, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, incumbent Synod second vice president, 825 nominations;
- Dr. Dean W. Nadasdy, pastor, Woodbury Lutheran Church, Woodbury, Minn., incumbent Synod third vice president, 664;
- Dr. David L. Adams, Fenton, Mo., associate professor of exegetical theology, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, 586;
- Dr. David D. Buegler, Avon, Ohio, executive director, Cleveland Lutheran High School Association, incumbent fifth vice president, 547;
- Dr. Scott R. Murray, pastor, Memorial Lutheran Church, Houston, Texas, 294;
- Rev. Elder McCants, pastor, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, San Antonio, Texas, 223;
- Dr. Lawrence R. Rast Jr., academic dean and professor of historical theology, Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Ind., 215;
- Rev. Glenn E. Huebel, North Richland Hills, Texas, pastor, Messiah Lutheran Church, Keller, 198;
- Rev. Charles S. Mueller Jr., Bloomingdale, Ill., pastor, Trinity Lutheran Church, Roselle, 178;
- Dr. John C. Wohlrabe Jr., chaplain, United States Navy, Virginia Beach, Va., 164;
- Dr. Wallace R. Schulz, Augusta, Mo., evangelist, Lutheran Heritage Foundation, 161;
- Dr. Dean O. Wenthe, president, Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, 119;
- Rev. Daniel Preus, director, Luther Academy, St. Louis, 117;
- Rev. Edward J. Balfour, Cape Elizabeth, Maine, pastor, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Gorham, 70;
- Rev. Matthew D. Harrison, Ballwin, Mo., executive director, LCMS World Relief/Human Care, 64;
- Rev. Herbert C. Mueller Jr., Waterloo, Ill., president, LCMS Southern Illinois District, 62;
- Rev. Eloy S. Gonzalez, associate director, Center for Hispanic Studies, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, 60;
- Rev. Wally Arp, Winter Springs, Fla., pastor, St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, Oviedo, 58;
- Dr. Bryant E. Clancy Jr., Ballwin, Mo., former executive director, LCMS Board for Black Ministry Services, 56; and
- Rev. Clint K. Poppe, pastor, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Lincoln, Neb., 49.
Each LCMS congregation was entitled to nominate as many as four ordained clergymen for the second through fifth vice president positions.
Elections will take place during the Synod’s 53rd Regular Convention, July 14-19 in Houston.
Synod Bylaw 220.127.116.11 states, “The rank of vice presidents shall be determined by the order of their election or, if more than one is elected in the same voting, by the number of votes received for each.”
Posted April 2, 2007