The LCMS Board for Communication Services (BCS), St. Louis, seeks nominations and applications for director of News and Information Services.
This position reports to the executive director of Communications and is responsible for:
- serving as executive editor of the Synod’s official periodicals, The Lutheran Witness and Reporter, and their corresponding Web sites (lcms.org/witness and lcms.org/reporter);
- overseeing the gathering and dissemination of news and information to the church and its publics;
- supervising the News and Information Services division of the BCS, including the Editorial Services unit;
- developing and maintaining relationships with significant professionals and groups involved in news and information both within and outside the Synod; and
- taking on projects and assignments at the behest of the executive director.
Nominees and applicants must have a minimum of five years practical experience in a communications field; a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a field related to communications; considerable skill in written and oral communications; above-average knowledge of electronic communications, including social media; familiarity with the business end of print communications (advertising, marketing, promotion, circulation); thorough knowledge of LCMS theology and practice (formal theological education preferred); and a wide-ranging knowledge of the Synod, including its history and current structure.
Nominees and applicants must be active members of an LCMS congregation and be faithful to the Holy Scriptures and Lutheran Confessions and supportive of the Synod’s Constitution, Bylaws, and policies.
Compensation is commensurate with the substantial responsibilities and expectations of this job.
Submit nominations or applications (application is available through /wp-content/uploads/2009/07/application.pdf) no later than Aug. 21 to David Fiedler, Interim Director, LCMS Human Resources, 1333 S. Kirkwood Road, St. Louis, MO 63122; firstname.lastname@example.org; fax 314-996-1121.
The Lutheran Church Extension Fund (LCEF) of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod seeks applicants for the position of president. This position is responsible for providing the vision, leadership, and management necessary to achieve LCEF’s work of providing financing for the expansion of churches and schools; to assist with the education and financial needs of rostered church workers; and to provide expertise and assistance in capital campaigns.
The president is responsible for overseeing management of all assets and the daily operations of LCEF, and provides for regular reporting of activities and financial conditions to the Synod in convention, members of the LCEF at the annual meeting, the LCEF board, and the appropriate auditing and regulatory agencies. This person serves as a liaison to the LCMS Board of Directors and with the Synod treasurer. The president also maintains close relationships with district boards and committees (LCEF/CEF) to coordinate the total program and serves as a member of the appropriate committees and boards, e.g., HR Advisory Committee, and Facilities and Services Management Board.
- member of a congregation of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod and an understanding of the role of the Lutheran Church Extension Fund within the context of the larger LCMS.
- ability to develop and communicate the vision for the organization.
- ability to relate to clergy and lay leadership throughout the Synod as well as with other constituents throughout the LCMS.
- minimum of bachelor’s degree, preferably in business administration with a major in finance or equivalent.
- significant experience in Church Extension Fund work or in similar financial operations, with the leadership ability to instill confidence and stability in lending, investing, and financing programs.
- 10 or more years of progressively responsible experience in administrative and management positions evidencing effective supervision of people. President/CEO experience is desired.
- proven ability to manage people effectively, including skills in recruiting top employees and a demonstrated ability to coach, mentor, and develop people.
- skills in public speaking and oral and written communications, both formal and informal.
For more information, or to be considered for this position, candidates should e-mail resume and salary information to email@example.com; fax: 314-996-1121; LCMS Human Resources — VB, 1333 S. Kirkwood Road, St. Louis MO 63122-7295. Deadline for responding is Sept. 1.
The following institutions of the Concordia University System (CUS) are seeking candidates for positions described below:
- Concordia College-New York, Bronxville, N.Y., seeks to fill the faculty position for director of Admissions.
- Concordia University Chicago, River Forest, Ill., faculty positions in sociology and one-year visiting faculty position in Communications.
- Concordia University Nebraska, Seward, Neb., education faculty/Regional Graduate Program director (Houston).
- Concordia University Wisconsin, Mequon, Wis., faculty position in theology.
For more information about these and other CUS positions, including complete job descriptions, qualifications, and application process, visit http://www.lcms.org/cusjobs and click on “Positions Available at Our Campuses.”
Re-posted Sept. 8, 2009