Concordia Historical Institute (CHI) opened an exhibit Oct. 24 on the Synod’s first president. “To God Alone the Glory: The Life of C.F.W. Walther” will remain on display through 2012.
The new exhibit highlights the life and ministry of Carl Ferdinand Wilhelm Walther and celebrates the 200th anniversary of his birth.
Walther left Germany in 1838 with a group of Saxon immigrants to seek religious freedom in America. He became a leader within the immigrant colony that had settled in St. Louis and Perry County, Mo., and was instrumental in the formation of what is now Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, and The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod. He was the first president of both the seminary and the Synod.
Walther guided the church body throughout his nearly 50-year ministry as a pastor, president and seminary professor, “holding firm to God’s Word and Luther’s doctrine,” according to a CHI press release. “Despite the many struggles he faced throughout his life, Walther served God and the church faithfully until his death in 1887.”
The new exhibit features furniture from Walther’s study, including three desks, along with books he wrote and periodicals he edited. Also on display are correspondence and images from his life and ministry. A statue of Walther that originally stood at his mausoleum in St. Louis also is displayed.
“Visitors will come away with a greater understanding of this esteemed father of the LCMS,” according to CHI. “Not only is Walther still remembered and respected today, but he continues to teach both clergy and laypeople through his writings.”
Concordia Historical Institute is the Synod’s Department of Archives and History. It is located on the campus of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, and is open to the public weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., excluding holidays. A donation of $3 per visitor is requested.
To make reservations for tours or for groups of 50 people or more — or for more information — call CHI at 314-505-7900 or visit www.lutheranhistory.org.
Posted Nov. 3, 2011