Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod Communications announces an opening for the position of managing editor: Witness, Mercy, Life Together.
The position is accountable to the director of News and Information and will be responsible for gathering, editing and supervising the production of materials related to the ministry work performed on behalf of the Witness, Mercy, Life Together (WMLT) emphasis. The managing editor follows the production of WMLT materials from manuscript through publication.
Principal responsibilities for the managing editor include keeping abreast of Synod mission and ministry activities, seeking items worthy of presentation and maintaining a file of story ideas. The managing editor serves as copy editor for all WMLT materials, in addition to acquiring permissions and reprint rights as required. The managing editor commissions work from writers and photographers and maintains contact from assignment through publication.
The position also submits articles to Doctrinal Review and makes necessary changes to articles as determined by the doctrinal reviewer.
Other responsibilities include arranging for payment of fees and invoices related to WMLT content; maintaining a current list of available freelance writers, artists and photographers; and handling WMLT-related correspondence as assigned, including fulfillment of requests from readers. The managing editor will work with the manager of Internet Affairs on maintaining WMLT online materials.
- active member of an LCMS congregation; familiar with Synod structure and organizations.
- faithful to the Holy Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions and supportive of the Synod’s Constitution, Bylaws and policies.
- formal theological training at one of the Synod’s seminaries or universities (e.g., M.A. in religion or M.Div.).
- broad-based biblical knowledge and a solid understanding of LCMS doctrine, practice, positions, structure, governance, etc.
- bachelor’s degree in a communications-related field highly desirable (e.g., journalism, public relations, marketing communications, English with a minor in journalism).
- minimum of five years of practical experience in a communications or related field.
- extreme aptitude in oral and written communications, in addition to good listening skills.
- capability and interest in writing and editing as evidenced by published or other written materials.
- commitment to accuracy, integrity and clarity in the presentation of information.
- a strong sense of good graphic design and an appreciation for deadlines and the ability to meet them.
- willingness to travel as required.
Qualified candidates are welcome to submit the following information for consideration:
Submit current resume, completed LCMS application form and three writing samples — published materials preferred — to email@example.com, human resources manager; or fax to 314-996-1121; or mail to The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, Human Resources, attention BH, 1333 S. Kirkwood Road, St. Louis, MO 63122-7295. Telephone: 314-996-1368 or 800-248-1930, ext. 1368.
For an LCMS Application for Employment, go to www.lcms.org/graphics/assets/media/LCMS/application.pdf or www.lcms.org (click on “Get Involved,” then “Career Opportunities,” then “Online Job Application).”
Concordia International School Shanghai (CISS) seeks a head of school who possesses the clear and passionate vision to lead a vibrant, diverse community of more than 1,300 students (pre-kindergarten through 12th grade) who hail from more than 30 countries as well as 150-plus experienced faculty and staff. Celebrating 13 years of academic excellence in a nurturing Christian environment, based in the dynamic city of Shanghai, CISS provides a 21st-century education for expatriate students and families who seek a supportive community and world-class results.
Concordia offers an American-based curriculum recognized for its dedication to academic excellence and innovative programs in athletics, fine arts and educational travel. Technology is woven into the curriculum as an integral component of the learning process. This is an exciting time in Concordia’s history following the completion of a comprehensive building plan. As an established institution, Concordia views itself as one school community whose mission is to educate students holistically.
CISS is a fully independent, not-for-profit institution with oversight by its board of directors and LCMS World Mission and fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
The qualified candidate must be a rostered member of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod; possess a doctorate or master’s in administration, education or related field; have experience as head of school or senior executive leadership; and possess strong management skills including finance, staff development and planning.
CISS is seeking a leader who is:
- an effective communicator capable of leading a multicultural learning community, possessing dynamic interpersonal skills.
- a spiritual and academic leader who embraces the range of disciplines within the school community and inspires the highest standards of academic excellence.
- able to attract and retain highly qualified faculty and staff in order to further develop the school’s strengths: community, world-class faculty, use of technology, service learning.
- an innovative thinker who can form a cohesive vision for Concordia’s role in global education.
- an effective problem-solver with strong decision-making skills in keeping with Concordia’s core values.
- known for mentoring faculty and staff and encouraging professional development.
- supportive of cross-cultural awareness while fostering shared beliefs and a sense of school-wide cooperation.
- capable of promoting and modeling collaborative leadership in order to maintain organizational effectiveness.
Direct inquiries to Jon Brantingham at firstname.lastname@example.org or Diane Long at email@example.com, co-chairs of the search committee based in Shanghai. Application materials will be available after June 1.
The following institutions of the Concordia University System are seeking candidates for positions:
- Concordia College–New York, Bronxville, N.Y., seeks to fill the positions of nursing (full- and part-time); admission counselor.
- Concordia University, Irvine, Calif., seeks to fill the faculty positions of exercise and sport science/coordinator of clinical education/athletic trainer; pediatric nursing clinical instructor; industrial/organizational psychology (adult degree completion); health care management (adult degree completion).
- Concordia University, Portland, Ore., seeks to fill the positions of director of Financial Services; theology (two positions); Nursing Program director; nursing; health care administration.
- Concordia University Chicago, River Forest, Ill., seeks to fill the positions of executive director, University Communications and Marketing Services; undergraduate admission counselor; instructional designer.
- Concordia University Wisconsin, Mequon, seeks to fill the position of director of Student Affairs, School of Pharmacy.
- Concordia University Nebraska, Seward, Neb., seeks to fill the positions of vice-president for Institutional Advancement; associate director of Alumni and University Relations; director of Student Life and Student Activities.
- Concordia University Texas, Austin, seeks to fill the faculty positions of Graduate MBA coordinator–San Antonio; Graduate adjunct faculty–MBA (Austin and San Antonio).
For more information about these and other CUS positions, including complete job descriptions, qualifications, and application process, visit http://www.lcms.org/cusjobs and click on “Positions Available at Our Campuses.”
Posted June 29, 2011