Dedicated in 1564, the “Old Latin School” is located in the heart of Wittenberg’s historic district, just steps from St. Mary’s Church, the “mother church of the Reformation.” In 2006, the LCMS Central Illinois District Church Extension Fund provided funds from a bequest to purchase the school.
In 2010, delegates to the 64th Regular Convention of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod voted overwhelmingly (a 95 percent margin) to “encourage the ‘Wittenberg project’ as a Gospel witness opportunity.” The resolution (1-08) also asked LCMS members on the ILSW board, as well as the LCMS president, Board of Directors and Council of Presidents, to “inform the Synod” of the project’s progress and any opportunities to support the project.
The supervisory board for the International Lutheran Society of Wittenberg includes:
- the Rev. Michael Kumm, Trinity Lutheran Church, Millstadt, Ill., chairman.
- the Rev. Dr. Matthew C. Harrison, president, LCMS.
- the Rev. Hans-Jörg Voigt, bishop, SELK.
- the Rev. Roger Zieger, director, Lutheran Church Mission, SELK.
- Ulrich Schroeder, layman, SELK (retired executive, Unilever Corp., Germany).
- Dr. Bruce G. Kintz, president and CEO, Concordia Publishing House.
- (The board seat jointly appointed by CPH and the LCMS is vacant.)
The ILSW managing director is the Rev. David Mahsman (also director, special assignments, LCMS Office of International Mission).
Posted Feb. 8, 2013