Registration is still open for this year’s National Disaster Response Conference, “Deliver Us from Evil: God at Work in Disaster,” to be held Oct. 6-9 at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis.
The conference schedule includes case studies from recent disasters in Pilger, Neb.; Washington, Ill.; Delmont, S.D.; and Colorado, as well as presentations from those who have responded to disasters.
Among presenters are LCMS President Rev. Dr. Matthew C. Harrison, who will address “Löhe on Mercy,” and Dr. Beverly Yahnke, executive director for Christian Counsel with DOXOLOGY: The Lutheran Center for Spiritual Care and Counsel, whose banquet presentation, “London Bridge is Falling Down: Child-Size Trauma,” will focus on caring for children.
The conference also will feature a “Q&A” with church leaders who have experienced a disaster.
Other speakers and their topics include:
- Rev. William Weedon, director of LCMS Worship, “How Worship Can Be Healing in Times of Suffering.”
- Rev. Joel Hempel, interim director of LCMS Specialized Pastoral Ministry, and Rev. William F. Engfehr, pastor of Holy Cross Lutheran Church, Collinsville, Ill., “Disaster Response Chaplains.”
- Rev. Dr. Richard Marrs, associate professor of Practical Theology and director of the Master of Divinity and Residential Alternate Route Programs at Concordia Seminary, “Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.”
- Rev. Ross Johnson, director of LCMS Disaster Response, “The LCMS and Disaster Response.”
- David Ricks, Disaster Care Ministry, Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church; Stephen Born and Randy Wolf, disaster-response coordinators for the Central Illinois District; and Rev. Ed Brashier, director of the Shepherd’s Heart Disaster Response Ministry in the Southern District, “Flood Buckets, Trailers and Chainsaw Teams.”
- Rev. Dr. Erik Herrmann, associate professor of Historical Theology and director of the Center for Reformation Research and Theological Resources and Special Projects at Concordia Seminary, “Luther and Mercy.”
- Rev. John Pless, director of Field Education and assistant professor of Pastoral Ministry and Missions at Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Ind., “Theology of the Cross.”
- Rev. Dr. Timothy Saleska, associate professor of Exegetical Theology and dean of Ministerial Formation at Concordia Seminary, “Psalms in Times of Tragedy.”
- Rev. Michael Meyer, manager of LCMS Disaster Response, “LERT Update and Disaster Grants.”
- Tim Hetzner, director of Lutheran Church Charities, Northbrook, Ill., “Update: Lutheran Church Charities and Comfort Dogs.”
- David Yow, director of Public Relations, and Erik M. Lunsford, manager of Photojournalism — both with LCMS Communications, “How to Tell Your Story, Talk to the Press and Take Great Photos.”
To reserve a spot at the conference, visit lcms.org/events/2015-disaster-conference. The deadline is Sept. 15.
Lodging is available (subject to a limited number of rooms) for $50 per night at the Crowne Plaza St. Louis Airport Hotel.
For more information, contact LCMS Disaster Response at 314-996-1396 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted Aug. 27, 2015