Registration is now open for the 2019 LCMS National Disaster Response Conference, “Joy:fully Lutheran in Midst of Disaster,” to be held Oct. 2–4 at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis (CSL).
The theme of the conference is based on James 1:2–4: “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”
Attendees will learn about practical ways to serve those affected by disasters, as pastors, disaster coordinators and others who have experienced and responded to significant disasters in the past year share best practices concerning mercy in the church.
Sessions and presenters include:
- “Christian Service and Vocation” – Rev. Heath Curtis, coordinator, LCMS Stewardship
- “The New LCMS Grant Process” – Deaconess Maryann Hayter, manager, LCMS Grant Administration
- “Christian Care for People Dealing with Anxiety and Depression after a Natural Disaster” — Rev. Dr. Rick Marrs, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis
There will also be updates on the LERT (Lutheran Early Response Training) program and Puerto Rico recovery; case studies on Hurricanes Michael and Florence; and breakout sessions on topics such as:
- engaging youth in service;
- responding to tornadoes;
- connecting with the media and telling your story;
- training, using and sending chainsaw teams;
- caring for children and families during tragedy; and
- showing mercy at all times.
Worship will take place each day of the conference in the Chapel of St. Timothy and St. Titus on the CSL campus, with communion offered at the opening Divine Service on Oct. 2.
Registration for the conference is $50/person and includes lunch and dinner Oct. 2–3 and lunch Oct. 4. Breakfast is not included in registration.
Attendees are responsible for their own lodging. A discounted rate of $79, based on availability, has been arranged with the Hilton St. Louis Airport Hotel. For reservations, call the hotel at 314-426-5500 and mention the LCMS Disaster Conference room block.
After the conference, a free chainsaw training event will be held off-campus Friday evening, Oct. 4, and Saturday morning, Oct. 5. The Rev. Ed Brashier of Shepherd’s Heart Ministry will lead the training, which is limited to 20 registrants.
For additional information and a full conference schedule, or to register, click here.
To learn more about LCMS Lutheran World Relief & Human Care Disaster Response, visit lcms.org/disaster, call 888-843-5267 or email email@example.com.
Posted June 5, 2019