Executive director, LCMS Communications
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) announces an opening for the position of executive director, LCMS Communications, housed at the LCMS International Center in St. Louis.
In collaboration with the Synod’s officers, leadership, staff, boards, commissions and other stakeholders, LCMS Communications informs the Synod’s members, congregants, agencies, auxiliaries, Recognized Service Organizations and the general public by reporting, explaining and facilitating consideration of and focus on the Synod’s objectives, vision, mission and teachings on matters of significance to the church. LCMS Communications seeks to ensure that the Gospel is shared through a range of thoughtfully conceived, well-maintained and easily accessed channels.
- Develop and execute a communications strategy for reaching various stakeholders and constituents in the LCMS that aligns with mission emphases and priorities established by the LCMS convention.
- Supervise and work closely with the associate executive director, director of Editorial and other department directors, fostering work processes within a mutually supportive team environment.
- Manage all aspects of the unit’s personnel-related matters with the close support of LCMS Human Resources and in concurrence with the chief mission officer (CMO) and the Office of the President (OTP).
- Work and communicate closely with the CMO, OTP, unit executives and other Synod leadership on all communications-related matters.
- Serve as spokesperson for the Synod (i.e., to the secular press, general public and the broader church) at the direction of the CMO and/or president.
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree in a communications-related field preferred.
- 10+ years of experience, with increasing responsibilities, in communications, marketing, public relations or closely related fields.
- Experience developing communications and marketing strategies.
- Leadership experience, including the management of teams of subordinates in simultaneous, multifaceted projects.
- Member in good standing of an LCMS congregation.
- Previous experience working in an LCMS-related capacity (preferred).
Posted June 1, 2021/Updated July 29, 2021