The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) announces an opening for the position of executive director, Internal Audit, housed at the LCMS International Center in St. Louis. The department provides a wide range of audit services to the Synod and its agencies, including:
- Performing financial statement audits in accordance with professional standards;
- Assisting external auditors with their financial statement audits of corporate Synod, Concordia Plan Services, Lutheran Church Extension Fund and the LCMS Foundation;
- Performing independent objective assessments of internal controls, operations and organizational structures for adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency; and
- Maintaining a dynamic, team-oriented environment that encourages personal/professional growth.
Responsibilities of the position are to:
- Develop and propose annual department plan and provide recommendations for any changes to the approved plan;
- Recruit, hire and train staff;
- Plan, coordinate and supervise the department workload;
- Monitor audit processes and department resources to ensure efficiency;
- Report to executive management and the boards/audit committees of respective clients;
- Meet with the LCMS Audit Committee on a quarterly basis;
- Develop and monitor continuing education for staff;
- Participate as resource staff for executive management and boards/audit committees of the LCMS and all Synodwide entities;
- Coordinate internal and external audit functions to avoid duplication of effort, enhance efficiency and maximize coverage;
- Evaluate pending and proposed changes in accounting and auditing pronouncements for applicability to the Synod and its related entities; and
- In accordance with Synod policy, investigate allegations of misconduct.
Qualified applicants should have:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting;
- A valid CPA license (other professional certifications encouraged); and
- A minimum of 10 years of auditing experience, including at least three years at the manager level.
Apply online at the Synod’s career page. Nominations are welcomed and may be submitted to Nathan Thomas.
Posted Jan. 6, 2022