The Association of Lutheran Older Adults (ALOA) is sponsoring seven upcoming Lutherhostels.
Designed for older adults, ALOA’s four- to six-day Lutherhostels “foster opportunities for intellectual, social, and spiritual growth” and offer a “unique educational adventure … presented from the Lutheran tradition,” according to an ALOA news release.
A typical day begins and ends with devotions, offers a Bible study, and includes various one-hour presentations — many incorporating the “local flavor” of the area.
Upcoming Lutherhostels will take place:
- June 7-11 at Concordia University Wisconsin, Mequon, titled “Holy, Wholly, Healthy in Spirit, Mind, and Body,” with Dr. Beverly Yahnke, executive director of the Milwaukee Christian Counseling Services, and Dr. Kevin Voss, professor at the university and lecturer on bioethical topics, among the presenters.
- July 16-20 at Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minn., in conjunction with its Lutheran Summer Music (LSM) program. Presenters will be Dr. Carl F. Schalk, distinguished professor of church music emeritus at Concordia University Chicago, and Rev. Fred Hinz, pastor of Immanuel Lutheran Church, Gaylord, Minn.
- July 16-20 at Lutheran Theological Seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), Philadelphia, Pa., on the life of William Penn, colonizer of Philadelphia. Presentations will focus on Quaker history, religious freedom then and now, and a “living history” performance of Penn’s educational views.
- Aug. 23-29 at Camp Arcadia, Mich. Presenters for the event, titled “Prophecy, Promise and Power: An Introduction to the Book of Revelation,” will be Rev. Ted Schroeder, former director for Christian education with the ELCA, and Cliff Pederson, president of Church Resources, Huntington Beach, Calif.
- Sept. 28-Oct. 3 and Oct. 5-10 at the Heartwood Conference Center and Resort in Trego, Wis., in conjunction with Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. For the first week, presenters will be Dr. H. George Anderson, past ELCA bishop and former president of Luther College, and Dr. Tom Zehnder, past president of the LCMS Florida-Georgia District. For the second week, presenters will be Dr. Herb Brokering, past professor of ELCA seminaries, and Dr. Carl Schalk.
- Oct. 26-31 at the Coastal Retreat Center on the Isle of Palms, Charleston, S.C. Presenters will be Dr. Roy Maack, past president of the Synod’s Southeastern District, and Rev. Bruce Todd, pastor at the ELCA’s St. Peter Lutheran Church, Lafayette Hill, Pa.
Registration fees vary according to site. For more information, contact Walt Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the ALOA office at (800) 930-ALOA (2562).
Posted March 20, 2008