The Synod’s two seminaries are offering continuing-education courses this summer in a variety of North American locations.
The courses are open to clergy and laypeople.
Following is a list of dates, sites, courses, instructors and contact information for each seminary.
Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, is offering 18 courses — including three that will be taught in Spanish:
- June 27-29 at Christ Church Lutheran in Phoenix — “Together with All Creatures: Caring for God’s Living Earth,” taught by Dr. Charles Arand. Host: Dr. Jeffrey Schrank, 602-955-4830 or email@example.com.
- June 27-29, St. John’s Lutheran Church, Austin, Minn. — “Formative Preaching: Sermons that Shape the Lives of God’s People,” Dr. David Schmitt. Host: Rev. Tom Ogilvie, 507-433-2642 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 7-9, Christ Redeemer of the Family, Houston — “Ministering to the Hispanic/Latino in a North American Context,” Dr. Mark Kempff. Host: Rev. David Kim, 713-426-2451 or email@example.com.
- July 11-13, St. John’s Lutheran Church, Orange, Calif. — “Formative Preaching: Sermons that Shape the Lives of God’s People,” Dr. David Schmitt. Host: Rev. Michael Hayes, 714-288-4400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 11-13, St. Andrew Lutheran Church, West Fargo, N.D. — “Isaiah 1-12, The Holy One of Israel in Our Midst,” Dr. Andrew Bartelt. Host: Rev. Clark Jahnke, 701-282-4195 or email@example.com.
- July 25-27, Zion Lutheran Church, Alexandria, Minn. — “Paul, Justification and New Perspectives,” Dr. Jeffrey Kloha. Host: Rev. David Hinz, 320-763-4842 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 25-27, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis — “Faith and Creative Writing,” Rev. Travis Scholl and Peter Mead. Host: Continuing Education, 314-505-7486 or email@example.com.
- Aug. 1-3, Bethany Lutheran Church, Overland Park, Kan. — “The Uniqueness of Christ in a Pluralistic Culture: Through Lutheran Eyes,” Dr. Joel Okamoto. Host: Rev. Bryan Drebes, 913-648-2228, ext. 119, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aug. 1-3, Immanuel Lutheran Church, Norton, Kan. — “Two Kinds of Righteousness: A Better Paradigm than Law and Gospel,” Dr. Joel Biermann. Host: Rev. Rick Rostek, 785-877-2430 or email@example.com.
- Aug. 1-3, St. James Lutheran Church, Cleveland — “When Things Fall Apart,” Dr. Henry Rowold. Host: Dr. Paul Hoffman, 216-351-6499 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aug. 8-9, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, Wichita, Kan. — “Why Are We So Divided? A Historical/Social Study of the Roots of Recent Tensions in Our Church Body,” Dr. Timothy Dost. Host: Rev. Dan Myers, 316-684-5201 or email@example.com.
- Aug. 8-10, Resurrection Lutheran Church, Cary, N.C. — “Why Some and Not Others? The Canon of the New Testament in Historical and Theological Perspective,” Dr. Jeffrey Kloha. Host: Rev. David Schleusener, 919-851-7248 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aug. 8-10, Trinity Lutheran Church, Tryon, N.C. — “In the Shadow of the Cross: Jesus and the Disciples in Matthew 16-20,” Dr. Jeffrey Gibbs. Host: Rev. Thomas Olson, 828-817-5506 or email@example.com.
- Aug. 8-10, Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, West Des Moines, Iowa — “Isaiah 40-55,” Dr. Reed Lessing. Host: Rev. David Dahlke, 515-225-1623 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aug. 22-24, Immanuel Lutheran Church, Santa Fe, N.M. — “Psalms,” Dr. Reed Lessing. Host: Rev. Douglas Escue, 505-983-7568 or email@example.com.
Workshops In Spanish
- June 9-11, First Immanuel Lutheran Church, San Jose, Calif. — “Cristo, redentor del matrimonio: Herramientas para la consejería pre-matrimonial y matrimonial,” Rev. Benito Pérez-López. Host: Rev. Gabriel Vallejo, 408-292-5404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 9-11, Trinity Cristo Rey Lutheran Church, Santa Ana, Calif. — “Cristo, redentor de la familia: Ministrando a la familia hispana/latina en el contexto norteamericano,” Dr. Mark Kempff. Hosts: Revs. Edgar Arroyo and John Durkovic, 714-277-8476 or email@example.com.
- July 7-9, St. Paul Lutheran Church, Melrose Park, Ill. — “Después de la palabra de Dios, el arte de la música es el tesoro más grande en el mundo: Teología y música en perspectiva luterana hispana,” Dr. Leopoldo Sánchez. Host: Rev. Douglas Groll, 773-622-1879 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for each summer workshop is $135 — or $75 for each Hispanic Studies workshop — which includes 1.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Payment is due 21 days prior to the beginning of each workshop, and workshops have a minimum required enrollment.
Housing and meal information is available from host pastors.
For more information or to register, visit http://www.csl.edu/resources/continuinged/summer-workshops/.
Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Ind., has scheduled 11 courses:
- May 10-12, St. Paul Lutheran Church, Austin, Texas — “The Resurrection of Jesus: A Comparative Study of the Gospel Narratives,” Dr. David Scaer. Coordinator: Rev. Sherman Stenson, 512-472-830, ext. 108, or email@example.com.
- May 23-25, Camp Okoboji, Milford, Iowa — “Law and Gospel According to Luther’s Great Galatians Lectures,” Dr. Naomichi Masaki. Coordinator: Lori Gamble, 712-337-3325 or Lori.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 1-3, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Jackson, Wyo. — “The Epistle to the Hebrews: A Christological Homily,” Dr. Arthur A. Just Jr. Coordinator: Rev. David Bott, 307-690-8697.
- June 1-3, Light of the Valley Lutheran Church, Riverton, Utah — “Why Should I Believe You? Christian Apologetics for Today,” Dr. Adam Francisco. Coordinator: Rev. Alan Borcher, 801-571-6769 or email@example.com.
- June 7-9, Cochrane, Alberta, Canada — “Pastor’s Devotional Life,” Rev. John Pless. Coordinator: Ron Voss, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 13-17, Grand Rapids, Mich. — “C.F.W. Walther, Church and Ministry,” Dr. Lawrence R. Rast Jr. Coordinator: Rev. North Sherrill, 616-581-8353 or email@example.com.
- June 20-22, St. Paul Lutheran Church, Concordia, Mo. — “The LCMS Since 1960,” Dr. Lawrence R. Rast Jr. Coordinator: Rev. Lee Hagan, 660-463-2291 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 27-29, St. James Lutheran Church, Shawano, Wis. — “Luther on Worship and the Lutheran Way with the Liturgy,” Dr. Naomichi Masaki. Coordinator: Rev. Ron Raddatz, 715-524-4815 or email@example.com.
- Aug. 1-5, Trinity Lutheran Camp, Flathead Lake, near Bigfork, Mont. — “Sacraments of the Old Testament,” Dr. Dean Wenthe. Coordinator: Rev. George Putnam, 503-842-7740 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aug. 22-26, Messiah Lutheran Church, Seattle — “No More ‘Peek-A-Boo Jesus’: Christology of the Old Testament,” Rev. Jeffrey Pulse. Coordinator: Rev. Ernie V. Lassman, 206-524-0024 or email@example.com.
- Aug. 29-31, Michindoh Conference Center, Hillsdale, Mich. — “The Pastor’s Personal Devotional Life” (for pastors and their wives), Rev. Walter Waiser. Coordinator: Rev. Richard Koehneke, 260-452-2239 or Richard.Koehneke@ctsfw.edu.
Registration for each course ranges from $150 to $225 and includes either 1.5 or 3 CEUs. Please register at least 21 days before the start of each class. Courses have a minimum required enrollment.
Posted March 31, 2011