The Rev. Brian S. Saunders of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, was re-elected by affirmation to his fourth term as president of the LCMS Iowa District East at the district’s 40th convention, June 29–30 in Cedar Rapids.
Also re-elected were:
- Rev. W. Max Mons, pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran Chapel and University Center, Iowa City, Iowa, first vice-president; and
- Rev. Dr. Matthew Rueger, pastor of St. John Lutheran Church, Hubbard, Iowa, second vice-president.
The officers were installed at the convention.
Meeting under the theme “Life Together: Laity & Clergy,” delegates adopted resolutions to:
- address the current shortage of rostered teachers in the district.
- retain the current district convention delegate representation to pastor-congregation-parish.
- request that the Synod’s Commission on Theology and Church Relations (CTCR) revisit the 1985 CTCR document “Women in the Church: Scriptural Principles and Ecclesial Practice” regarding lay lectors.
- reaffirm and clarify the “Of Creation” section in “The Brief Statement of the Doctrinal Position of the LCMS” (1932).
- reaffirm the scriptural teaching concerning the age of the earth.
- amend several portions of the Iowa District East bylaws.
Posted July 13, 2018