Thirty-seven congregations have received grants during Phase 1 of the 1 John 3 Initiative Million Dollar Life Match. The program, which offers a total of $1 million in matching grants, seeks to support LCMS congregations involved in providing beginning-of-life care in their local communities.
The recipients were chosen after a careful review process that included input from staff of the LCMS Office of National Mission, LCMS district presidents or their representatives, and district life coordinators.
“It is exciting to learn about the variety of mercy work being done by LCMS congregations across the country and to partner with them to expand their capacity,” said Deaconess Dr. Tiffany Manor, director of LCMS Life Ministry, who is overseeing the grant program. “There are some very creative projects that are providing spiritual, emotional and physical care. All of the projects chosen share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with people in the communities.”
Grants were given out in four categories:
Congregational projects directly caring for families experiencing challenges at the beginning of life
- LifeBridge Community Church, Sealy, Texas
- Our Savior Lutheran Church, Carol Stream, Ill.
- Our Savior Lutheran Church, Cheyenne, Wyo.
- St. James Lutheran Church, Glen Carbon, Ill.
- St. John Lutheran Church, Park Rapids, Minn.
- St. Paul Lutheran Church, Miami, Fla.
- theCross of Central Florida, Mount Dora, Fla.
- Trinity Lutheran Church, Clinton, Mo.
- University Lutheran Chapel, Minneapolis, Minn.
Partnerships with LCMS Recognized Service Organizations
- Bethany Lutheran Church, Naperville, Ill.
- Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Immanuel Lutheran Church, Lone Rock, Iowa
- St. Andrews Lutheran Church, Park Ridge, Ill.
- St. Peter Lutheran Church and School, Schaumburg, Ill.
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Bridgeton, Mo.
- Trinity Lutheran Church, Burr Ridge, Ill.
Supporting foster care and adoption in collaboration with local agencies
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Fairborn, Ohio
- Cross and Resurrection Lutheran Church, Ypsilanti, Mich.
- Our Savior Lutheran Church, Nashville, Tenn.
- Trinity Lutheran Church, Denver, Colo.
Collaborations with local pregnancy resource centers
- Bethany Lutheran Church, Vacaville, Calif.
- Christ Our Savior Lutheran Church, Livonia, Mich.
- Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church, Kettering, Ohio
- Faith Lutheran Church, Appleton, Wis.
- Faith Lutheran Church, Stephenville, Texas
- Gethsemane Lutheran Church, La Crescenta, Calif.
- Grace Lutheran Church, Caldwell, Idaho
- Grace Lutheran Church, Clarksville, Tenn.
- Lutheran Church of the Way, Raynham, Maine
- Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, Lake City, Fla.
- Praise Lutheran Church, Maryville, Tenn.
- Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, Douglasville, Ga.
- St. Athanasius Lutheran Church, Fairfax, Va.
- St. James Lutheran Church, Montague, Mich.
- St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, Jenison, Mich.
- St. John’s Lutheran Church, Adrian, Mich.
- Trinity Lutheran Church, Auburn, Ind.
Additional grants will be awarded during two more phases of the Million Dollar Life Match. A second set of applications is currently undergoing the review process.
Applications for the third phase will be accepted Nov. 1, 2022, through Jan. 22, 2023. All LCMS congregations are encouraged to apply.
Posted Sept. 13, 2022