The fourth phase of the 1 John 3 Initiative Million Dollar Life Match is underway, with applications due by June 30.
The initiative, which began in early 2022, seeks to support LCMS congregations involved in providing beginning-of-life care in their local communities. Any LCMS congregation is eligible to apply.
The three-part process, which takes place over a period of months, consists of an application, an award and a follow-up report. The initiative was originally planned to have three phases, but a fourth phase was added to allow a greater window of opportunity for congregations interested in applying.
To date, grants have been awarded to help congregations:
- Care for families experiencing challenges at the beginning of life;
- Partner with an LCMS Recognized Service Organization in support of life;
- Collaborate with local agencies on foster care and adoption; and
- Collaborate with local pregnancy resource centers and maternity homes.
Awards range from $1,000 to $50,000. Grant recipients are selected via a process that considers a variety of factors, including:
- Whether the grant is for a new or existing project (both are eligible, but new projects receive more weight);
- Whether the proposal is complete, clear, specific, feasible and sound;
- How closely the project is connected with the Word and Sacrament ministry of the congregation; and
- How well the project provides spiritual, emotional or physical care for families vulnerable to abortion or facing challenges.
Grants will be awarded in September, and reports are due by March 1, 2024.
For more information, or to begin the application process, visit the Million Dollar Life Match webpage at lcms.org/life-grant. Address questions to Kris Freeman, manager of LCMS Life Ministry, at email@example.com or 314-996-1217.
Posted April 3, 2023